Thursday, May 7, 2015

      Before I get to my dad's funny stories of his time visiting me in Hong Kong, I thought I'd share what I've been up to the last couple of weeks before he got here.
      This last month has been a roller coaster ride for me, with final exams, saying goodbyes, my dad visiting me, and taking off for Thailand and China.  After my mom, brother, and sister left, I had to hunker down to prepare for finals, which here is taken place over a three week period, instead of one week back home.  Nothing was too out of the ordinary for the exams, except that we took them in the gymnasium instead of a lecture hall.  Exams went well and I'll find out the results in a month or so, but all I can say is that I'm ecstatic to be done with school, but sad to be almost done with Hong Kong.  While studying for those few weeks, I was able to spend some last few days with the awesome people I met by going to beaches, playing ping pong, going to museums, and having people show me new areas that I hadn't seen before.  These were a fun couple of weeks, but nothing entirely new until my dad was able to come.
        My dad was able to come at the end of tax season, which luckily happened to be right after my exams.  Without further ado, here is my dad's account of Hong Kong:
       
     

     Guest blogger for this post  – Reid’s father, Kurt.  I’m happy that tax season is over and I could squeeze in a visit prior to Reid setting off to explore more of Southeast Asia before his return at the end of the month.
     I arrived in Hong Kong Wednesday April 29th evening and it was so nice to see each other after four months.  We bussed to downtown area to take in the Symphony of Lights and find our hotel.  I was prepared for vast cultural differences, but stepping off the bus for the first time, I commented to Reid about how the smell of downtown was just not pleasant.  We had a good laugh when we realized a garbage truck and pile of garbage were right behind the bus.  Hong Kong has a different smell, with hot/humid weather and fish/meat markets out in open, but not like that first whiff. 
     Thursday was Reid’s final day of exams, so while he finished up his semester, I explored the city and took in the street markets, parks, buildings, housing, people density, and culture in general – quite an experience.  Glad that I could easily get around since most signs in are in English and many people speak it.  Except for about 50 street vendors who either couldn’t read or understand their prospects for a sale with “CPA” embedded on my forehead.  They are a persistent bunch, all part of the experience and throughout the week, Reid and I found ever creative and humorous ways to say “no”.
     The day after Reid’s exams, we set off for a hiking trip with his friend Eden from Israel, and Eden’s friend Shai who recently got out of the Israeli army.  It was interesting to hear their first-hand accounts of Israel’s struggles and current battle with Hamas.  We struggled to get a taxi to take us to the vicinity of the trail because it was a holiday and tons of locals were out - our heartiest group laugh of the week was over his Pavlovian response to my whistle to quickly come to a hailed taxi – ask him sometime.  The hike had gorgeous views, ended with a swim in the ocean and the realization it would be good if the U.S. did not adopt the customs of Hong Kong public showers and changing areas.  A night trip to “The Peak” for a view from above of the skyline closed the day.
     On Saturday, Reid and I went to the island of Cheung Chau, which has been written about previously and didn’t disappoint.   A great day filled with some unusual things - gate-ball, shelling shrimp with chopsticks, a new definition of how fresh a fish/frog meal can be – to the normal - beach, swimming, hiking.  The restaurant menus in English were an adventure, none more than one on Cheung Chau that had “Stir-Fried Crap” on the menu.  Pretty sure they meant “Crab,” but we were taking no chances. 
     Sunday consisted of learning at Hong Kong’s History Museum, more walking around the city, ping pong with locals and a visit to Reid’s dorm.  I confirmed that Reid is conscious about his spending since even though the weather has been 80 degrees+ and dorm room A/C is limited, he did not indulge in such luxuries like laundry detergent, cleaning supplies and air freshener.  After night markets and falling asleep to the movie classic Dumb and Dumber, Monday consisted of a trip to the Chinese consulate for Reid’s visa, a harried taxi cab ride to airport and final goodbyes before he left for Thailand. 

     It was a great trip and a special experience for me.  Even more, it was wonderful to have Reid show me his environment, knowing he had success with his professors/classes, a new appreciation for different cultures and by extension an appreciation for how fortunate we are in America.  Lastly, when I witnessed his final goodbyes to Eden and his roommate Simon, it was clear that true friends were made, lifetime relationships formed and they were all better off for their shared experiences.  Thanks for the decision and the great time Reid.  Love, Dad.




I am currently posting this blog from a city in northern Thailand called Chiang Mai, as I have been in Thailand this whole week, but I will leave my Thailand adventures to be posted next week when I leave for China!

                                                  Eden, Shai and I atop the Dragon's back
      My dad and I spent some time watching this guy fish with about a 30 foot pole and no reel-he surprisingly caught quite a few
     We now have firsthand knowledge on how frog legs and other seafood are made, thanks to these locals at the wet market on Cheung Chau island
                    My dad had some fun playing with this little girl on a road on Cheung Chau island
                                             Climbing on rocks along the South China Sea
Taking the MTR on the way to the Dragon's back

No comments:

Post a Comment